Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, situated within the southern segment of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, was a sleepy seaside the city that attracted hippie varieties who most well-liked the placid seashores and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
Within the remaining decade or so, despite the fact that, the hippies were overtaken by way of influencers, boho-chic virtual nomads, and would-be yogis. So, whilst I loved seeing the ruins there, I’m now not a large fan of Tulum nowadays.
However that’s simply me. Masses of 1000’s of other people talk over with each and every yr and love their time there. Commute is subjective, in spite of everything.
House to probably the most best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand seashores, Tulum is undoubtedly a good looking slice of Mexico.
However is Tulum secure?
That depends upon who you ask.
The Out of the country Safety Advisory Council says that Tulum is “quite secure” — despite the fact that there was once no less than one kidnapping of a vacationer there previous this yr, and two ladies had been killed by way of gang crossfire whilst eating at a cafe in 2021.
For the state of Quintana Roo, which contains Tulum, the knowledge from the USA State Division says to “workout larger warning” when touring there (versus six different states in Mexico, the place the file stated, “Don’t commute to”).
That stated, I’ve visited Tulum a couple of instances now — and feature road-tripped across the area — and not felt unsafe. Certain, you want to stay your wits about you and stay a watch out for petty robbery, however that’s what you will have to do anyplace you commute.
That can assist you perceive extra concerning the town and come to a decision if you’re feeling comfy visiting, this is the whole thing you want to understand to stick secure in Tulum.
Is Tulum Secure for Solo Vacationers?
Typically, sure. It’s within the native and nationwide governments’ hobby to take some time to stay tourist-heavy locations like Tulum secure. If vacationers get started getting robbed (or worse) in Tulum, guests will forestall coming, native companies will endure, and, because of this, there would then most probably be extra crime. It’s cyclical.
For those who workout some warning, as you will have to do in any new vacation spot, you’ll most likely keep away from any critical problems.
Is Tulum Secure for Solo Feminine Vacationers?
Tulum is most often secure for solo feminine vacationers. That stated, feminine vacationers have further issues and will have to workout much more warning. Don’t stroll on my own at night time, as an example, whilst in Tulum. By no means settle for a drink from any individual until you noticed it being poured or made. And at all times keep watch over your drink when out on the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Secure?
Taxi drivers have a horny unhealthy recognition regardless of the place you might be on this planet. I’m glad to file that that recognition does now not prolong to this seashore the city. Simply you should definitely agree on a value ahead of you leave.
Taxis are abundant in Tulum so typically you will have to now not have an issue discovering one. If doubtful, despite the fact that, have your resort or hostel name one for you so you’ll be able to be sure to get a credible motive force.
Is Renting a Automobile in Tulum Secure?
There are some condo automobile scams that vacationers will have to pay attention to — now not simply in Tulum however anyplace in Mexico. It’s rather commonplace, as an example, to hire a automobile on-line after which display up on the place of work best to be informed that they don’t have any automobiles nowadays.
The opposite factor is with hidden charges. There are exorbitant prices for insurance coverage that you just’re best instructed about on the remaining minute, so remember whilst you guide that chances are you’ll get the deal that you just suppose you’re getting.
Except those problems, it’s secure to hire a automobile in Tulum.
To search out the most productive condo automobile offers, use Uncover Automobiles.
Is There an Factor with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
Sadly, crime has larger in Tulum, and the vast majority of it’s drug-related gang job. Since 2019, drug-related gang crimes have larger by way of a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that that is most commonly gang-on-gang violence and now not geared toward vacationers.
The important thing right here is that this: don’t use or purchase medicine whilst in Mexico basically, and Tulum specifically. You’re simply inviting threat.
Can You Drink the Faucet Water in Tulum?
The faucet water in every single place Mexico — now not simply in Tulum — is infamous for now not being as blank because it may well be. That is going for ice cubes too. In finding out first if the water in eating places is filtered after which ask if the ice cubes are too.
Tulum can every so often be sweltering, and sipping iced beverages could be refreshing, however it might be even worse to be caught for your resort room with abdomen problems since you drank faucet water or an iced drink that was once infected with faucet water.
Bottled water isn’t probably the most eco-friendly factor, but if in Tulum, keep on with it, simply to be secure. You’ll be able to additionally deliver a LifeStraw bottle, which has a integrated filter out to be sure that your water is at all times blank and secure to drink.
Can I Stroll Round at Evening in Tulum?
It’s now not really helpful — particularly in the event you’re on my own. Making issues extra difficult, the seaside motels and the middle of the city aren’t essentially a handy guide a rough jaunt from each and every different on foot, so that you will have to take a taxi. The excellent news is that taxis are considerable in Tulum.
So, until it’s a really perfect quick distance, don’t stroll at night time in Tulum.
10 Protection Pointers for Tulum
Tulum is among the extra reliably secure spots in Mexico. That stated, you will have to nonetheless workout warning, specifically whilst you go away the closely touristed spaces of the city. Right here are a few things to bear in mind:
1. Keep alert – When strolling round, particularly at night time, keep very alert and conscious of your atmosphere. Do your preferrred to slot in.
2. Stay your telephone out of the achieve of others – Pickpockets like to prey on careless vacationers, so stay your telephone out of the achieve of others always. For those who stroll round swinging your smartphone everywhere, chances are you’ll in finding that merchandise abruptly lacking.
3. Stay your valuables at house – In a similar fashion, in case you have numerous great jewellery and/or a pricey watch, stay it at house or within the resort room secure. You don’t wish to draw in the fallacious more or less consideration.
4. Be wary at night time in the event you’re touring on my own – Tulum isn’t probably the most unhealthy position at night time, however in some puts, it’s now not as neatly lit correctly. Don’t stroll round on my own overdue at night time if you’ll be able to keep away from it — particularly between the middle of the city and the beachfront resort zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – For those who don’t have global roaming, obtain an offline map to make use of for navigation. Simply be certain that to not pull your smartphone out an excessive amount of, lest it get stolen.
6. Be informed some Spanish – Uttering a couple of phrases of the native language is at all times a excellent factor. It could possibly open doorways and allow you to are compatible in (and also you’re much less more likely to be a goal). It’s additionally helpful in case of an emergency. The emergency quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Remember of your cash – Don’t elevate each and every peso you’ve for your pockets or pocket. Unfold it round (some for your pockets, some within the resort secure, some for your backpack), in order that if any individual steals your pockets or robs you, you’re going to nonetheless have cash secured in other places.
8. Obtain the Prey app for your telephone and computer – In case your telephone or your computer will get stolen, the Prey app lets you observe the place it’s. You’ll be able to set up the app totally free after which improve to a paid model (it’s simply $5 USD) if you want to trace your stolen software. Prey too can turn on your telephone’s digicam and take a photograph of the thief.
9. Watch out when the use of ATMs – Best use ATMs inside of a financial institution. No longer best can skimmers be put on outside ATMs (to thieve your PIN), however robberies are a lot more commonplace at them. To stick secure, best use indoor ATMs.
10. Be careful for riptides – Whilst the seashores in Tulum are shocking, the riptides will also be unhealthy. By no means stray too a ways from shore, simply to be secure. For those who’re now not a powerful swimmer, keep on with the pool.
So, Must You Seek advice from Tulum?
In relation to protection, sure. As I stated above, there was a fair proportion of drug- and gang-related crime in Tulum over the previous couple of years, however in the event you’re now not searching for out medicine — and also you actually shouldn’t be — then most likely you’ll keep away from experiencing this type of problems.
My Maximum Vital Recommendation
Purchase commute insurance coverage. We by no means suppose that one thing goes to head fallacious on journeys. But it surely does every so often — which I’ve realized from revel in. I’ve misplaced baggage in South Africa, had my equipment ruin in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I used to be additionally knifed in Colombia.
Whilst it’s now not a laugh to consider, unhealthy issues can occur when you’re touring.
That’s why I by no means go away house with out commute insurance coverage. You shouldn’t both — particularly in the event you’re heading to Mexico. For simply a few greenbacks an afternoon, you’ll get a security web that guarantees that you just received’t move bankrupt will have to one thing unhealthy and sudden occur.
Don’t reasonable out to your well being and protection. It’s now not definitely worth the chance.
Tulum has briefly grow to be the epicenter of the so-called Riviera Maya, attracting every kind of people that gravitate right here for its shocking white-sand seashores hugging up alongside blue-green waters, in addition to the well preserved Mayan ruins.
Whilst it’s a most often secure position for vacationers, you will have to at all times be alert and workout warning when you’re in Tulum. Do this, and also you’ll be capable of have a a laugh — and secure — talk over with.
Guide Your Travel: Logistical Pointers and Tips
Guide Your Flight
Discover a reasonable flight by way of the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite seek engine as it searches web sites and airways around the world so that you at all times know no stone is being left unturned.
Guide Your Lodging
You’ll be able to guide your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace as opposed to a hostel, use Reserving.com because it persistently returns the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and motels.
Don’t Fail to remember Commute Insurance coverage
Commute insurance coverage will give protection to you towards sickness, harm, robbery, and cancellations. It’s complete coverage in case anything else is going fallacious. I by no means move on a go back and forth with out it as I’ve had to make use of it repeatedly up to now. My favourite corporations that supply the most productive provider and worth are:
Wish to commute totally free?
Commute bank cards help you earn issues that may be redeemed totally free flights and lodging. They’re what stay me touring such a lot for therefore little. Take a look at my information to choosing the right card and my present favorites to get began and notice the newest preferrred offers.
In a position to Guide Your Travel?
Take a look at my useful resource web page for the most productive corporations to make use of whilst you commute. I record the entire ones I exploit after I commute. They’re the most productive at school and you’ll be able to’t move fallacious the use of them to your go back and forth.